05 October 2009

Tok Pisin with Isuzu Lu: Banana long Maket

Isuzu Lu: Banana long Maket
Lu: Inap tenpela yia nau mama bilong mi yet i bin karim ol banana long maket ... Nau tasol mi baim dispela strongpela Isuzu na mama i amamas tumas ....

Lou: For ten years now my own mother has carried bananas to market ... Only now I bought this sturdy Isuzu and mama is very happy ...

Bird: Mi amamas tumas tu / I'm very happy too

Mama (with pipe): Kam yu putim hia ... / Come put it here ...

Sitting lady: Nating bai mi tokim pikinini bilong mi long baim wanpela tu ... / I think I'll tell my kid to buy one too ...

Standing lady: Mi, tu / Me, too
This is a scan from a faded old photocopy of a cartoon ad by Bob Browne for New Guinea Motors in the Papua New Guinea Post-Courier, 1976. According to the Foreword in Isuzu Lu Book 5, Browne's Isuzu Lu ads paved the way for locally created cartoon strips in PNG newspapers. The Phantom was among the most popular strips in 1976.

No comments: